At 8:30 am this Sunday, while I wiped the sleep from my eyes and noticed that my only snuggle partner was my fourteen year old dog (lifted lovingly onto the bed each morning by her papa), I heard a familiar muffled clamor coming from the kitchen. My husband was making fresh sausage for us to have for breakfast.
He is a man of simple pleasures. He doesn’t ask for much in life. Conversely, he’s quite the giver, making coffee at the crack of dawn each day, emptying the dishwasher and garbage can so I can start my cooking for clients with a clean slate, and just generally setting me up for success. He’s my anchor- that sounds so cliche…but it’s true. When I get a crazy idea in my head that’s larger than life and I get all emotional about it (which may happen kind of often), spinning thoughts like a wild woman, my husband gently pulls me back down to where my feet can firmly root back into the earth, somehow without ever dismissing me or popping my bubble of excitement. And then, he helps me to give that idea life, shape, and structure- taking all of the necessary steps with me to reach my goals with gusto.
Adam Price is the baker in our family. A master biscuit-baker to the maxx.
He is also the cocktail-maker. I mean the Mixologist (said in snarky hipster voice).
He’s the smoother of edges and the most fun partner in crime. He has a gigantic, warm heart, the patience of Job, and he giggles before he even starts to tell a story that tickles him. He is the cheese to my cracker, the jelly to my crunchy peanut butter, the other pea in my pod. Almost a decade into our relationship, he lights me up all day everyday. And I am so thankful that I truly won the Husband Lottery. There are a few things in the Universe that get Adam super excited.
1. Going on a trip. Before we go on any kind of adventure, that boy does not sleep. He’s up at four in the morning, like a kid on Christmas, gearing up for the journey.
2. The Sea. Like me, Adam Price would do just about anything to find his way to a beach. One day, we will live there for good. But, until then, we treasure every moment on the water, knowing that Mother Ocean heals all and brings us the most peace.
3. Sandwiches. I swear, Adam would eat sammiches three meals a day if it were good for his body and his wife wouldn’t nag him about it. This entire meal was born out the craving for one super-over-the-top bbq sandwich.
4. Live music. A shared love of both of ours. And thank g-d. If Adam didn’t enjoy grooving to the sounds of a wide spectrum of music and soaking up the energy of a peaceful crowd gathered to take in the tunes, I would have surely been destined to grow into an old spinster all by myself.
5. Grilling. This is a true passion of Adam’s, and since we’ve got a charcoal grill with a smoker attachment on our back porch, this is the pleasure that gets indulged the most in our life currently. Planning to smoke a pork butt for eight hours brings Adam serious giddiness. It’s fun to watch his eyes get big and his eagerness build. He will wake up early on a Sunday to concoct a spice mixture and get the Butt rubbed and ready,
and he delights in staying home all day to babysit- making sure the temperature remains constant and the fire stays just strong enough to cook her low and slow.